Monday, February 7, 2011

Stats Part Catorce: The Long Overdue Edition

What I did the last month:

Started my novel, scrapped my novel, started again, changed perspective, scrapped the changes, started again
Made a super sweet character building sheet based on RPGs complete with basic skills and perks
Built a successful desk
Knit a failed skirt
Played the perfect Dragon Age Origins rogue in anticipation of DA2
Tried acupuncture, and didn't outwardly panic when my acupuncturist began talking about her past life regressions and how they helped her to see "prophetic visions of the future" while she was sticking needles in my neck

What I didn't do:
Put my first novel behind me

Stats:
Queries sent: 100
Rejections received: 42
Requests still pending:  4

I'm still inexperienced and all, so I can't say for sure, but I think part of my problem in moving on to my second novel was because the first one is still haunting me.  According to Douglas Adams, forty-two is the answer to the unspecified question of life, the universe, and everything.  In my case, the question appears to be, is this novel, as it currently stands, publishable?  And the answer is a pretty resounding "no."

So I must move on,* and in moving on, I probably should put all aspects of that book out of my mind for the moment, including this blog.  No doubt I'll be firing it up again the next time I query, but for now I need to stop being The Querier and start being The Unpublished Yet Diligent Novelist.**  So thanks to everyone who read my querying adventures and, until next time, good luck with your own!


* Right after I obtain my last rejection cupcake/beer, I'm thinking chocolate orange creamsicle and Rogue's Mom Hefeweizen
**I know, I know, it doesn't have quite the same ring.














 

No comments:

Post a Comment